Re: Adam and Eve

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 18:00:12 EDT

    Even assuming, ad arguendo, it is true we can come up
    with an hypotehsis that comes up with an historical
    Adam at a particular location. It does not make any
    sense to me to either build either an apologetic
    around this or a theology. For a couple simple
    reasons.

    First. Precisely placing Adam does not seem to me to
    be critical to the Christian message. Indeed, Christ
    is critical to the Christian message and he is
    well-placed historically.

    Second. The doctrine of original sin does not seem to
    me dependent on identifying a specific, particular
    Adam. It seems to me that the doctrine of original
    sin can just as well be supported as a metaphorical
    discussion of human nature, which at some point became
    manifest in hominids when the knowledge of good and
    evil came into their consciousness and their
    subsequent rejection of the good.

    Third. The doctrine of original sin as an exegetical
    gloss stemming from the second century does not
    receive equal treatment in all Christian traditions.
    Christian faith and the saving grace of Jesus the
    Christ do not depend on an historical Adam. To say
    that it does is an exegetical gloss.

    Fourth. Christ as the "second Adam" is not dependent
    upon on identifying a particular, historical Adam in
    the same way as Jesus is essential as an historically
    identifiable person who is the Christ.

    Fifth. As an apologetic, it is a weak tactic to use
    against those who reject Christianity generally, since
    they are unlikely to be swayed. It is likely to
    appear to those outside the Christian tradition as an
    ad hoc argument. Not that it might not be right, but
    it is simply not persuasive to those outside the
    tradition.

    Sixth. It seems primarily concerned with supporting
    the protestant view of sola scripture which both the
    Catholic tradition and Orthodox tradition reject and
    not all protestant or anabaptist traditions take in a
    literal meaning, especially regarding the Old
    Testament.

    At the end of the day, I do not see what difference to
    Christian faith it makes if we try to identify a
    particular, historical Adam or not. It seems to me
    that it is not useful as an apologetic either. It may
    be edifying to those who want to literally reconcile
    scripture with what we know about historical facts,
    but not much more. So, what difference does it make?
    Please enlighten me.