(Maybe) The first writing wasn't in Mesopotamia

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 21:33:07 EDT

    Hi Glenn, you wrote:

    >Your statement is at least 2 years out of date. There are at least two
    >earlier contenders for the title of earliest writing;
    >
    >First, Egypt:
    >
    >Writing May Have Begun in Egypt - Archaeologists

    Sounds tentative to me. Let's see if it makes it into the history books before
    we jump off the Sumerian band wagon and onto an Egyptian band wagon.

    If it turns out Sumerians were not the first to write, that's fine. They still
    learned to write before the Accadians did. After all, that is the point I was
    making. Are you questioning that?

    Also, what happened to their writing? At the time Sumerians were writing
    poetry, Egyptians were still making hieroglyphics.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"