Re: A matter of trust?(Or why YEC persists)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 16:28:38 EDT

    Dick Fischer wrote:

    > Shuan Rose wrote:
    >

    >> I recently had a look at my copy of Bernard Anderson's "
    >> Creation & Chaos", a collection of lectures dealing with these
    >> topics. His first lecture" Creation and History" gives a very good
    >> explanation of the interrelation between history and the various
    >> creation accounts in the Bible. He argues that Israel borrowed
    >> elements from what was originally the pagan mytholgies of the Middle
    >> East , rewrote them, and integrated them into an historical account
    >> of the saving acts of God.
    >

    > Sumerologists advocate that since the Sumerians were first to write,
    > and they wrote about matters of creation, the flood, etc., that the
    > Accadians, later Hebrews, borrowed and eventually Hebrew versions got
    > caught up in the Bible. Alternatively, we could believe that the
    > Accadians and Sumerians who lived side by side were impacted by
    > historical events equally, and recorded their own versions.
    >
    > The Sumerians invented handwriting, and the Accadians learned from
    > them, so if we just look at chronological order, Sumerian versions
    > should be older. But to say that the Hebrews copied "pagan
    > mythologies" is supposition only, and beyond what can be confirmed.

            The biblical writers did not just copy pagan myths in a slavish
    fashion. They did, however, use elements of such myths, changing them
    as was necessary in order to express aspects of the faith of Israel.
    Brevard Childs' term for this is "broken myth." His essay "Myth and
    Reality in the Old Testament" (Alec R. Allenson, Naperville IL, 1960) is
    well worth reading if you can find a copy.
            Gen.6:1-4, which was discussed recently here, is a good example
    of such a broken myth. Another is Is.14:12-14 which - in spite of a
    long history of Christian misunderstanding - is not about a primeval
    fall of Satan. It is based on a Canaanite myth of the young gods
    planning to overthrow the elder gods which has been used by the biblical
    writer to speak of the impending fall of Babylon - as is obvious from
    the context.
            It's also worth noting that the recent tendency has been to move
    away from the idea that the Chaos Struggle texts & related material are
    all related to Babylonian material. Canaanite texts are likely to be
    the background of some. See, e.g., John Day, _God's Conflict with the
    Dragon and the Sea_ (Cambridge, 1985) as well as Anderson.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/