Re: Oppressive YEC

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 16:42:49 EDT

     Jim You are too optimistic. YEC celebrated its 40th birthday last year and
    goes from strenth to strength and has struck England in a public way this
    march.
    In 1971 when I started to train for the Church of England ministry there
    were probalby 10 YEC clergy out of 12,000, there are now 1,000 out of
    10,000. When I said this would happen at seminary in 1971-4 most thought I
    was nuts. Two of the most prominent was one of my teachers and a fellow
    student.

    > How long will it take for the internet to undermine YEC?
    > FWIW, I'm completely on the TEs & OECs side here. Personally,
    > I think YEC is due for a fall. Why?
    >
    > A) No presence in the public schools (that I am aware of, anyway).
    The problem is home-schooling as most home school science material is YEC.
    This is evident when you teach students at undergraduate level as I found
    out.

    > B) Desperate people make mistakes - now I wouldn't do this, but
    > what happens if a ticked off former YEC develops a website
    > "lies of the YEC"
    Glenn did thsi but in a christian way as he highlights the faults of YEC and
    gets accused of being an apostate. (Hey Glenn, I recommend your website to
    loads of people, can you give me a cut of your oil profits?)

    > C) And, the "listserv" that I started a few weeks ago is now an
    > organized group. It won't be long before we have a fully
    > operational website. I can promise that this website will
    > take the Bible away from the YEC. Please no inquiries, we
    > need time to work on our website.
    Whyshould you succeed when the ASA listserve has not , also the ACG site and
    others.

    Jim, you are in for a long haul and you, like me, will be dead and buried
    before YEC goes away.

    However, be persistent and winsome in your opposition to YEC and realise
    that many old-timers have been badly hurt in the past including those who
    have lost jobs.