Re: A matter of trust?

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 15:54:04 EDT

    Glenn,

    As visitor No.114944 to your site I am impressed with the data you have gathered
    there; somewhat envious too of the traffic you have succeeded in generating! A
    few questions come to mind:

    (1) As in the past, you take me to a series of intermediate points in the
    alleged transition, FISH>AMPHIBIAN. My concern on the other hand is with the
    logic of believing that the process could ever have got started. Setting aside
    all evolutionary assumptions and expectations, do you really consider it
    reasonable to suppose an impairment to normal fin activity to be advantageous?

    "...(it) lived in shallow water...and would thrust out to grab its prey. It used
    its fins to push against the sediment to add to its speed." This might easily be
    mistaken for an 'eye-witness' account of typical Devonian activity. Shouldn't
    such details be declared as guesses?

    (3) And again, surely predation is a two-way matter. The reality must also
    involve "How can I avoid being eaten?" You have already implied that fin
    function is reduced in Ichthyostega. Where, therefore, is the selective
    advantage that this creature has over the fish that share its environment?

    (4) On your web page I observe you have inserted an estimate of the time that
    has elapsed since each of the creatures you describe lived. The impression
    created is that this time sequence was derived independently of the alleged
    evolutionary sequence. Is this indeed so?

    (5) I believe the logic of my original observation stands, and I suggest that it
    is therefore appropriate that we look for a more reasonable interpretation of
    the fossil evidence. How would you respond to my belief that the creatures you
    describe lived contemporaneously in the earth's waters some 6000 years ago -
    each having been created independently as a distinct 'kind'?

    You may already have gathered that my leanings toward YEC derive from biblical
    considerations more than any other. As a Christian I take as the starting point
    in my quest for truth God's strictures concerning man (eg Gen.8:21, Ps.2,
    Jer.17:9). I think you will agree that such unsavoury characteristics, if true,
    must have a profound effect on the way we think and behave toward God and His
    Word, and to the manner in which we conduct our day-to-day affairs. To soften
    the meaning of what is actually being said of us it is common practice to use
    the term 'original sin' - a device that in itself, suggests that the charges are
    true. But there is no lack of further corroborative evidence: the censures are
    confirmed, (a) by what we know of ourselves and observe in those around us, (b)
    in that they make sense of Incarnation, Cross and Resurrection, and (c) in the
    universally adverse reaction to the news that the Bible is a self-authenticating
    text - ie that its Author has more to say to us than had originally been
    supposed (I refer to the numero-geometrical phenomena described on my website).

    It must surely follow, (a) that man is an unreliable witness in respect of
    matters pertaining to our Creator and His Word and, (b) that the Bible is a
    unique body of divinely-revealed truth intended to provide man with an enduring
    and dependable 'benchmark' for living, and a 'means of escape' from his depraved
    condition. Clearly, man-made philosophies can command no authority in this, the
    real scheme of things. The Lord has told us how it all began - complete with
    timeframe. Thus, He can hardly be accused of deception if - for one reason or
    another - the majority of the world's clever people chose to disbelieve his
    words. Indeed, any deception there is must be a 'self-deception' - based upon
    selective interpretations of empirical data, inflated ideas regarding the
    capabilities of the human mind, and a rejection of the possibility of
    supernatural activity. Regarding the latter, as Christians we would be wise to
    remember the reality of the spiritual battle in which we are all engaged
    (Eph.6:10-18), and to accept that the interests of the supernatural - friend and
    foe alike - do not necessarily stop short of the laboratory door.

    Sincerely,

    Vernon

    http://www.otherbiblecode.com