Fish/Tetrapod transition: was A matter of trust?

From: Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 14:13:11 EDT

    >>I also requested evidence of the fact that such transitions have been
    >>found in the fossil record.

    The fossil evidence for this transition is really quite good. Transitional
    fossil specimens cause the boundaries between the groups to become blurred.
    Often the definitions of the higher taxonomic groups have to be
    reconsidered as a result. The earliest tetrapods were aquatic,
    gill-breathing animals. The discovery of numerous new early tetrapods has
    shown that limbs evolved not for terrestrial locomotion, but for
    maneuvering in shallow freshwater environments.

    Ahlberg, P.E. and Milner, A.R., 1994, The origin and early diversification
    of tetrapods: Nature, vol. 358, p.507-514.

    Ahlberg, P.E., 1995, Elginerpeton pancheni and the earliest tetrapod clade:
    Nature, vol. 373, p.420-425.

    Laurin, M., Girondot, M., and de Ricqles, A., 2000, Early tetrapod
    evolution: TREE, vol 15, no. 3., p.118-123.

    Clack, J.A., 1998, A new early Carboniferous tetrapod with a melange of
    crown-group characters: Nature, vol. 394, p.66-69.

    Coates, M.I., and Clack, J.A., 1991, Fish-like gills and breathing in the
    earliest known tetrapod: Nature, vol. 352, p.234-236.

    Carroll, R.L., 1997, Patterns and Processes of Vertebrate Evolution:
    Cambridge Univ. Press, 448p.

    Zimmer, Carl, 1998, At the Water's Edge: Touchstone, 290p. (This is an
    excellent popular account of the discovery of fossil transitions in the
    origin of tetrapods and the origin of whales.)

    There is much more literature than this. This is just what I had
    immeditately on hand.

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology