RE: How and when did we become "men"?

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 13:56:14 EDT

    Hello Glenn,

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Glenn Morton
    To: Adrian Teo; Asa@Calvin. Edu
    Sent: 4/20/2002 7:42 AM
    Subject: RE: How and when did we become "men"?

    Adrian wrote of Chauvet:

> [...]

    Glenn: Yes, one can always find reason to doubt whatever one wants to doubt.
    We
    have holocaust deniers, we have people who doubt the government's
    explanations of UFOs, we have YECs who doubt every fact of science, we
    have
    Geradus d'Bouw, another YEC, who doubts heliocentricity, we have the
    example
    of many arabic peoples who doubt Bin Laden was behind the 911 attack
    preferring instead to blame the Mossad. Yes, we can always have doubt
    if we
    don't like the obvious conclusion. And we can make those doubts sound so
    noble.

    AT: Glenn, my point was not to say that we should doubt everything that has
    less than 100% mathematical certainty. Instead, I am saying that we should
    not readily jump to conclusions unless we have ruled out other possibilities
    (to some degree of certainty). Perhaps these scientists have (to their
    credit), but it was not clear in the quotes you posted. Sure, it could have
    been for religiouse purposes, but the language of the reports you cited
    gives the false impression of a high degree of confidence that I thnk is
    unwarranted. In fact, such unwarranted confidence is an indication of a
    strong bias. It would be perhaps be more helpful if they could give some
    rough estimate (and not even necessarily numerical) of the level of
    certainty that comes with these conclusions.

    Glenn wrote:
    THe approach you are taking is one taken by Lewis Binford in
    anthropology.
    No matter what activity is proposed by an anthropologist, Binford can
    find a
    reason to discount it. What does that do to our understanding? It makes
    all
    evidence simply separate and unconnected items, totally unrelated to
    anything we know about.

    AT: I don't know Binford, but I would not go to his extreme. I am not
    casually discounting these evidence that are in fact consistent with the
    religious practice hypothesis, but rather, asking to see if there are
    perhaps other pluasible explnations that have not been ruled out. You seem
    to be way too defensive in your reaction to my post.

    GLenn: Now, as I wrote you privately,The same can be said of the 4000 year
    old
    temples in Malta. Who alive ever saw them used as temples and maybe they
    only appear to be places of religious worship? And there is no
    historical
    record of their use as temples. The base assumption is analogical, that
    similarity between modern and ancient objects is due to similarity of
    use.
    Could this be wrong? Yes, but if we take that approach to history, we
    won't
    understand much of it. That approach is a road to solipsism and is often
    used by people who can find no other reason to reject a conclusion.

    AT: 4000 years ago, we have lots of written record of ancient practices. WE
    know what the norm is in those days for various civilizations. It is
    altogether a different matter when we are speaking about Neanderthal
    activities.

    Glenn:I would ask why one would doubt the Chauvet Cave example I cited?

    AT: So that one does not readily allow one's bias to creep in.

    Glenn: Why else
    would people take bear skulls (only skulls) into a dark cave and place
    one
    of them on a big rock in the center of the cave starting a fire behind
    it?

    AT: Wait a minute! This is a highly suspect argument. Just beacsue one can't
    imaigne it to be otherwise does not automatically permit one to conclude
    that therefore there are no other possibilities.

    Glenn:I don't think it was a picnic. If you can convince me that these
    people
    weren't people, then ok we need to interpret it another way. But if you
    assume they weren't people to begin with, then you have assumed your
    conclusion.

    AT: Ah, so that is the real issue - that you are commmitted to this theory
    that these were human persons, and therefore, are willing to vigorously
    defend their activities as human. I have not assumed my conclusion, because
    I am not concern about the humanness issue. I am more interested in whether
    these arrangements of bones are religious or not. But I realize that this is
    your concern, and you wish to defend the arguament that these are humans
    like us.

    Adrian wrote of Bilzingsleben:
    [portions deleted]
    >There is a high degree of uncertainty in these conclusions.
    >
    >I realize that I may be seen as being overly skeptical here, but I
    >am making
    >these objections in the name of scientific rigor.

    Glenn: Of course. I could be wrong. But what you seem to be doing is asking
    for
    mathematical certitude in a historical science. NO conclusion from
    historical sciences can be held to that standard.

    AT: No I am not asking for that level of certainty. In your eagerness to
    defend your theory, I think you may have misunderstood my point.

    GLenn: Apply your skepticism
    the Bible and you will find that we have no proof of the resurrection,
    no
    proof that Jesus lived, no proof that Moses was real, no proof of David,
    the
    exodus, the conquest, Solomon or any other event recorded in the
    Scripture.
    I can claim that Jesus was a mythical figure inflated to existence by
    his
    imaginative disciples and there is nothing you can do to prove me wrong.

    AT: The skepticism that you are describing is not mine. I am not looking for
    mathematical proof. I am looking to systematically compare the data to
    competing hypotheses. This is how good science should be conducted. The
    person proposing the hypothesis needs to be especially skeptical of any
    evidence in favor of his/her hypothesis, and constantly aware of the bias to
    view things only in a way that supports one's hypothesis. That is why the
    scientist needs to look into the possibility of other explanations that may
    better account for the data, and systematically rule those out.

    Glenn: To
    paraphrase you, There is a high degree of uncertainty in your conclusion
    about the resurrection and the existence of Jesus--Of course I make it
    all
    sound noble by noting that I am only making these objections in the name
    of
    scientific rigor.

    AT: Glenn, you seem to imply that I carry a less-than-honest motivation for
    daring to question your conclusions. How does this exercise in mind-reading
    further your argument?

    Glenn: Live by the same standard you apply. If you are going to apply this
    standard
    to archaeology, then apply it to the archaeology of the Bible. I don't
    think
    you will be so happy with the results. If you don't apply this standard
    equally to views you like as to views you don't like, then there is a
    word
    for that kind of behavior.

    AT: I can't help but notice an unusual level of defensiveness in your post.
    I am perfectly happy with people employing the scientific rigor that I call
    for in biblical archaeology. In fact, I expect it. I do not need to believe
    in the absolute, total inerrancy of the bible in all its reported historical
    facts to believe in the Christ who died and rose again. I do not seek
    mathematical certitude in the historical sciences, but I do call for the
    wilingness to qualify one's scientific conclusions with some statement about
    probability.

    Sincerely,
    Adrian.