Re: How and when did we become "men"?

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 21:21:32 EDT

    Mike Satterlee wrote:

    >Dick Fischer wrote: Australopithicines (in the ape family) became Homo
    >erectus 2-3 million years ago. Apparently, there were three trips out of
    >Africa, the last were modern Homo sapiens about 100,000 years ago. That's
    >about as concise as I can make it. ... I would prefer to be remembered as one
    >who made a contribution with a logical argument using the stuff of science,
    >and resisted the temptation to speculate.
    >
    >Dick,
    >
    >Thank you for your answer. Your answer as to "when" God created the human
    >race seems to be the best one that anyone can now properly give. I also
    >enjoyed your comments on why you feel God chose to create Adam and Eve at the
    >time that He did, during the time of the Sumerian culture.
    >
    >You also indicated that you believe that at some point, "humans became imbued
    >with 'souls' capable of redemption." By saying that, were you saying that you
    >believe God "created" the human race, at a time prior to His creation of
    >Adam, by then giving highly evolved primates "souls" or "spirits" which were
    >different from the "souls" or "spirits" of other animals?

    No. I think that was what you said.

    > If so, how do you feel man is "spiritually" different from animals? Or
    > do you?

    God did not send his son into the world to die on the cross for animals
    which are incapable of sin, and thus require no savior.

    >I have heard some say that our greater intellectual capacity, permitting us
    >to have a relationship with God, is all that makes us different from animals.

    I didn't say that.

    >They have told me that all men do not all have eternal spirits within them
    >which, unlike the spirits of animals, return to God who gave them upon our
    >deaths. They say men only receive such "spirits" when we enter into a
    >relationship with God.

    They're guessing. I'd ask them to cite chapter and verse, and if they
    can't, put that idea in the circular file.

    > If that is the case, then it seems to me there is no
    >real difference between a mentally retarded human being and a chimpanzee.

    Christ said to go into all the world and make disciples of all men. He did
    not tell us to figure out which ones can be saved and don't waste time on
    the mentally handicapped.

    >I realize this is now more of a discussion of theology than science. And you
    >have stated that you are really more of "a data and evidence guy," so you may
    >choose to decline comment on these matters. ( As a public person you also
    >have to be careful not to say anything that may brand you as even more of a
    >"heretic" than you are already considered by many. So, if your personal
    >beliefs on these matters are "unorthodox," you may want to keep them to
    >yourself. I'd hate to see your message damaged by your making unnecessary
    >"controversial" remarks.)

    Thanks, I think.

    >But I'd appreciate hearing your opinion, if you are willing to give it, and
    >that of others here on the "how" of God's creation of the human race prior to
    >Adam, whenever that may have been.

    Any good book on anthropology works for me. Milford H.Wolpoff is popular
    at the moment. Try his web page at:

    http://www.pro-am.com/origins/multiregional/

    > Essentially, I guess I am asking, how do you believe carnal man differs
    > from animals?

    Opposable thumb, bi-pedal locomotion, and a cranial capacity of 1300-1400
    cc's. Oh, and a redeemable soul.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"