Re: How and when did we become "men"?

From: John (Burgy) Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 20:40:42 EDT

    Mike wrote: "They say men only receive such "spirits" when we enter into a
    relationship with God. If that is the case, then it seems to me there is no
    real difference between a mentally retarded human being and a chimpanzee."

    I do not see that the second sentence flows from the first. If I assume the
    first (which I do not), I still must use my observational data about
    mentally retarded persons (adults, in this case). I have known a dozen or so
    of these people rather intimately, as friend wife and I have taught SS
    classes for them in two different churches over the past years. All I can
    observe says to me that their relationship with God may not be
    intellectually as sophisticated (?) as mine, but in many acses it may be
    much deeper. To hear them pray -- to witness their obvious delight in
    hearing the same old stories once again," to hear them struggle for answers
    to "trivial" questions, and see their happieness when the "get it," to hear
    them sing, loud, out of key, making a "joyful noise unto the Lord," etc.
    Etc. tells me that to deny them personhood would be a sin.

    Again, one may assume the first claim, but that does not lead to the second.

    Cheers

    Burgy