RE: cosmology & polygamy

From: Don Perrett (don.perrett@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 23:34:17 EDT

    I apologize for having to send this additional response, but I failed to
    answer one of your very important questions.
    As to Levitical law, YOU ARE RIGHT. Ask any physician. We shouldn't be
    eating cheeseburgers. While others may take the OT as law, such as Judeans.
    Others may take it as just history. Still others take it as a prior set of
    laws that are no longer valid since Christ died for our sins. Jesus said he
    was here to fulfill the scripture, not change it. That said, I see the
    Levitical laws as God's way of letting those that did not know of the
    scientific values, and/or hazards of eating certain foods. They followed
    because God said so. This is actually one of the arguments I use to convince
    atheists that there is a God. If the scientific knowledge concerning health
    was limited at the time, how did the writer know? This would at the very
    least point to a superior, if not divine, introduction of rules to live by.
    We may now know the reasons for lobster being bad for us, and therefore we
    do not eat it. But the OT already banned it. Levitical laws are full of
    "proper" ways to live, which will not only help to lengthen ones life, but
    also to decrease some of the other socio-political problems of today. If
    everyone
    followed the laws of Moses, we would be in heaven. But this of course is
    just a dream.
    Thanks again.
    Don P