RE: cosmology & polygamy

From: Don Perrett (don.perrett@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 23:24:24 EDT

    While I claim no divine understanding or interpretation, the passage in
    question is Deuteronomy 22:9 "Do not plant two kinds of seed in your
    vineyard; if you do, not only the crops you plant but also the fruit of the
    vineyard will be defiled."
    In the various churches I have attending, it has been present as being the
    restriction of creating hybrid plants and fruits for consumption. You may
    say that this is not a correct interpretation. That is your right. I would
    say though that unless you have direct evidence to the contrary, it's better
    to be safe than sorry. It amazes me how we can require the listing of things
    such a MSG and other things on food, but have no law requiring the labeling
    of hybrids and genetically manipulated food. While some may consider
    themselves to be as knowledgeable as God, and enjoy playing with something
    we are still trying to understand, I see no value for such things. Some will
    say that with this technology we can make crops that hold up to weather and
    insects. This may help the farmers produce higher yields, but at what risk?
    Just look at what it did to the cattle in England. In no way am I saying
    that we should not continue research in genetics, but studying and trying to
    manipulate are two different things. Would you let your child grab the stove
    just to see what would happen? Why do we as a society allow such techniques
    to be used in science? "Let's see what happens if we do this." This seems to
    be the catch phrase. Let's first understand completely what we are doing
    before we truly mess up our entire ecology.
    Thanks for you patience.
    Don P