Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 07:37:35 EDT

    Don,

        I will reply to both of your messages in this one. I have two points to
    make. First, there is the question, "What does Deut. 22:9 mean?" I don't
    read Hebrew, but the translations I have consulted, instead of reading
    "defiled" read "forfeit" (NRSV, REB) and "may not be used" (JPSV). Here is
    a good example of the issue of interpretation. I am puzzlied by what the
    context for this rule is. I certainly do not interprete this passage to mean
    that creating hybrid crops is prohibited by the law of Moses. And planting
    different crops in the same plot, as native Americans have shown, can
    enhance the soil, which I see as a good. But the law has to do with
    vineyards, and perhaps someone who is a vintner can speak better to this
    regulation.

        My second point is that I consider the Deuteronomic regulations to be
    applied to the ancient Hebrews of their covenant community and not to every
    subsequent community of the faithful. I'm not certain why the law
    prohibited the wearing of garments made of linen and wool (same verse), but
    it must have had something to do with some element of Hebrew life. I do not
    think that a wife who lies about her virginity should be stoned or that the
    punishment for adultery should be death (22:21-22), and I would not consider
    myself or any other Christian bound by that provision, because of the rule
    of love I referred to in an earlier note (Augustine, Paul, and Jesus). The
    family structure and relations of an ancient Hebrew family are not ours.

        I don't think that as Christians we should take the position that every
    prescription of the law of Moses should apply in some fashion to our
    covenant community. I follow Paul (the apostle) on this one.

    Bob