Re: Fair Fight

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 09:35:15 EDT

    Comments below.
    --- Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    > >Please name one person who has not selected
    > evidence to suit his or her own
    > >theory and neglected or rejected evidence that does
    > not. We all do.
    >
    > You are describing a lawyer's tactic, and a YEC
    > tactic. I would hope that
    > those of us who bear the "Christian label" are not
    > picking and choosing
    > what fits and what does not. If I knew where Jesus'
    > bones were buried, I'd
    > shout it from the roof tops. Any of us should.
    > That's what separates us
    > and safeguards our Christian message.

    As both a laywer and a scientist, I think you have it
    wrong. There are two ways, one more direct and one
    indirect in which we selectively use data. First, the
    rhetorical side -- rather than lawyerly -- is that we
    use data to try and persuade others of things that we
    believe. In so doing, you must select from the
    universe of all possible data, which you cannot in
    most instances relate in its entirety. Barring any
    glaring knock down data that go against your position
    (which as a lawyer you are ethically required to
    provide to a court in say a legal brief -- although
    you may try to explain it away), you will choose those
    data that make your case more compelling. So, from a
    persuasive standpoint, when you write an article, you
    want to include the best data for your position, and
    you might not necessarily either include all the data
    against your position (impossible to do) or you may
    explain why seemingly non-conforming data are either
    inaccurate or really supportive (this is done all the
    time).
      The second way, of course, is indirect. Because you
    have, say a particular theory in mind that explains
    most of the data (or so you think), you are going to
    tend to see the data in a more positive light to
    support your position. You may be less familiar with
    competing theories and the literature regarding them.
    You may be more likely to see methodological problems
    with experiments or studies that go against your
    position, etc.
      In either case, the motives are hardly sinister,
    they tend to be how the world works, especially in
    quasi-experimental disciplines like almost all the
    social sciences, where data are even more
    "interpretable" and methodology becomes even more
    problematic.