RE: Ramblings on a "High View" of Scripture

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 18:44:53 EDT

            Hi Phil. I agree 100 percent on your conclusion. However, many
    evangelical church leaders and members would affirm without resevation
    Article XII.
    Frankly, I think most of these folks have not read their Bibles very
    carefully. Many Christians have a Bible that consists of the following:

      a.. parts of Genesis and Exodus
      b.. snippets of Leviticus, Numbers, and Dueteronomy
      c.. portions of Joshua, Judges, 1 &2 Kings
      d.. snippets of Ezra, Nehemiah, and Chronicles
      e.. Selections from Psalms, Proverbs, Job, and Ecclesiastes
      f.. Isolated sections of the Prophets having to do with Messianic
    prophecies
      g.. Most of the New Testament, interpreted from the viewpoint of Paul's
    Letter to the Romans
        What I have set out is pretty much the "Bible according to
    Evangelicals". Much of the Bible, e.g. 1 chronicles 1-9 is pretty much
    passed over, as if it does not exist. Even for the NT, Paul, John, the
    synoptic gospels, and the Catholic Epistles are all harmonised and
    interpreted as if they are saying pretty much the same thing- a view which
    no respected Biblical scholar would agree with.
        This rose-colored, childish view of the Bible is propagated constantly
    from almost every evangelical pulpit in the land-which makes it difficult to
    engage in any fruitful discussion on the science-religion issue.

      a..