Re: Ramblings on a "High View" of Scripture

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 01:48:56 EST

    << All these problems lead to most thought out statements of Biblical
     inerrancy being convoluted and even contradictory. It s several years
     since I have read them, but I recall that the shorter and longer versions
      of the Chicago statement actually say quite different things. At that
     time I could have signed off on one (the longer, I think, which is more
     qualified), but not the other. >>

    I agree. The longer statement gives at least a little room for the kind of
    nuancing that Terry mentions; but the actual articles adopted by the
    International Council on Biblical Inerrancy, which were signed by just about
    every evangelical group in the country, are something else. And, I think it
    is these articles which are the "high view of Scripture" to most people and
    especially Article XII:

    "We affirm that Scripture in its entirety is inerrant, being free from
    falsehood, fraud, or deceit. We deny that Biblical infallibility and
    inerrancy are limited to spiritual, religious, or redemptive themes,
    exclusive of assertions in the fields of history and science. We further deny
    that scientific hypotheses about earth history may properly be used to
    overturn the teaching of Scripture on creation and the flood."

    Although some may affirm this article and then go to the interpretations of
    concordism to avoid such contextual historical-grammatical meanings as the
    sun being created on the fourth day and a universal Flood that killed every
    human on earth except the eight on the ark, the most natural course of action
    for a believer in this article would be to go directly to creation science.

    Either way, light is suppressed, so, I do not believe this is a view of
    Scripture which Christians should hold.

    Paul