Re: Who can you trust?

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 15:54:41 EST

    Allen

    I nearly didntsend this as it is contentious but we need honest argument to
    get at the truth

    I first read the Genesis Flood in 1971 whne at L'Abri after I came back from
    working as a geologist in africa for 3 years. Initially I thought it a
    powerful argument thogh it went against all my geology. However after a few
    hours I started to spot misquotations and misrepresentations by the dozen. I
    was given about 6 creationist books to sort me out and I soon found they
    alos misquoted by the dozen. The occasional misquote I can put down to
    carelessness or incomptence but I have no explanation for misquoting on such
    a grand scale.

    Ever since then I have found the same in every creationist publication I
    read whether American or British. Consequently I do not accept any thing I
    read by YECs unless I can check the sources. I have checked innumerable
    sources but now if I read something which overturns something I have always
    held I assume it is a misquotation and note it for future checking. When and
    if I check it sure enough it is always a misquotation.

    Now for non-YECs ;
    Yes I have noted how often the media misquote as they did over Kansas and I
    had a run-in with the New Scientist over that when I reviewed Eldredge's
    Triumph of Evolution as the editor tried to alter what I said about Kansas.
    (Probably lost future commissions as well) I groaned at what the British
    press said about Kansas for starters and now what they do about Gateshead. I
    would expect most of the examples you give of containing journalistic errors
    and if I checked them out would find some of the errors - largely because
    Kieth Miller has pointed out in many places what happened at Kansas and made
    me check things more carefuly.

    One of my bugbears are those who get their history wrong because they do not
    check their sources and rely on recieved opinion.

    I am sure if someone checked all my sources in my writtten papers would find
    some errors but I hope they are few and far between. I have found some!!

    I would suggest that all YECs go through all YEC publications and correct
    the misquotations therein starting with the Genesis Flood by Morris and
    Whitcomb. I think that would sort out many of the problems and heat in the
    Creation/Evolution debate.

    I look forward to the 2nd edit of the Genesis Flood with no misquotations

    I totally agree with Glenn on this point - even if we sometimes disagree!
    Glenn argues with transparent honesty and integrity which is all we need

    Michael

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A5