Re: How to teach about evolution in the church. Was" Utley v Dawkins"

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 17:05:23 EST

    Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM wrote:

    > Hey George…
    >
    > Was that first line a Freudian slip? 8^)
    >

    > No - just a dumb one.
    >

    > As I have stated before, I believe that meaningful discussions
    > concerning alternate Origin stories should be presented to all our
    > children, and if it can not be done in our public schools (or any
    > other public forum), then, perhaps by default, it must occur in our
    > other “meeting houses,” our houses of worship.
    >
    > Which "alternate Origin stories"? Should we teach in public
    > schools that Odin & his brothers made the world out of the body of the
    > giant Ymir, or the Egyptian story of the god who created the world by
    > masturbating, as possible alternatives to evolution? Or if we're
    > limited to the church, should we teach that God created the universe
    > by defeating a primordial sea monster, as in Ps.89:8-13 &
    > Job.26:12-13?
    > Of course the teaching of creation in the church should be
    > distinctively Christian. I.e., it should speak about the world _as_
    > creation & talk about evolution in terms of the providential action of
    > the God who is revealed in Jesus Christ. But that means putting
    > evolution in a theological context, not trying to present some
    > alternative to it as a scientific theory.
    >

    > I am surprised that everyone here seems to have forgotten (or never
    > learned) that throughout the period between the observation of the
    > “red shift” in the cosmos, and the confirmation of Gamow’s predictions
    > by the Bell Labs radio engineers, it was the Humanists who had
    > resisted, and, to some extent, continue to resist, the Big Bang Theory
    > the strongest, due to the theological implications of a finite
    > universe.

          This is misleading. Sure, the desire to get rid of a suggestion
    of a creation moment was one of the motives of the steady state theory,
    but there were plenty of "humanists" who never bought into that - Gamow,
    e.g. Moreover, the idea that big bang theory has "theological
    implications" about creation is belied by the fact that somebody like
    Weinberg can be quite comfortable with it. & on the other hand, the
    steady state theory could be reconciled with belief in God as the
    ultimate ground of being of the universe - the same kind of approach
    that would be necessary if the Hartle-Hawking model turned out to be
    true.
            & having said that, the relevance of this to teaching about
    evolution in the church is unclear.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy