Re: Creationism in the UK (Utley v Dawkins)

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 07:25:31 EST

    Michael Roberts wrote:
    >The clever ploy was to downplay Evolution and not insist on its teaching
    nor
    >that on the age of the earth. Teachers under pressure to complete the
    syllabus
    >could simply leave them out and thus another generation would not know the
    >scientific arguments for the vast age of the earth and make them easy prey
    for
    >YEC as if people cannot grasp the arguments they will swallow the
    pseudoscience
    >of Creationism. Further it is one thing to criticise evolution but it is
    another
    >to use faulty critiques such as Gish or Jon wells which students would not
    be
    >able to see through.

    I am not sure that is why people become YECs. I knew the arguments for an
    old earth before I became a YEC. I became a YEC because my religious
    beliefs required it. The reasoning is that if God's word says this
    happened, and if we trust God, then we should believe what is written. Same
    reasoning goes to many other parts of the Bible such as, God's word says
    that Jesus arose, If I trust God, then I should believe that. The
    parallelism of this type of argument is why YEC arguments have force in
    Christianity. It is not merely a matter of knowledge. I know lots of YECs
    who know the arguments for an ancient earth--indeed, Allen knows them
    also--e.g. light from distant stars.

    And I might add that this misunderstanding is why so often our arguments
    fail to reach their target.

    personal stories of struggle