Thoughts on the implications of evolution as a means of creation

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 16:13:12 EST

    One of the objections raised to the concept of God creating though evolution
    is, Why would God use a process that would take 15 billion years? Was he
    simply twiddling his thumbs waiting for Man's appearance?

    The flaw in such thinking is that assumes that the sole purpose for God's
    creation of the universe was the creation of man. I believe that we need to
    stretch our idea of what God's purposes are for the creation of the
    universe. Astronomers tell us that it’s a big universe out there, with
    billions and billions of stars. It seems far too big for its purpose to be
    the creation of man alone.

    Suppose God’s purpose in creating the universe was the creation of
    intelligence. One way would be to create a vast universe, and let a zillion
    evolutionary experiments begin. The intelligences may evolve at different
    rates, at different times. It is possible that God may even be in fellowship
    with many different intelligences right now, one of which is Homo Sapiens.

    Science fiction writer Ray Bradbury was imagined something like this. He
    wrote one short story, in which Christ visited many different worlds. He
    wrote a story on the same theme, “ Christo Apollo”. C. S. Lewis’ science
    fiction trilogy, “ Out of the Silent Planet” also had the idea of different
    intelligences knowing God.

    If we get to travel to other stars, and find alien intelligence there, we
    may find that they already know the one God. Wouldn’t that be cool.

    Shuan Rose
    2632 N Charles Street,Baltimore MD 21218
    [410]467-2655