After Man? More musings on an evolutionary universe

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 16:13:15 EST

    I have recently finished the Dounal Dixon book, “ After Man”. The author
    imagines that through Man-made ecological catastrophe, Man becomes extinct,
    along with most big animals. The survivors of this catastrophe are the small
    animals that Man ignores or considers as vermin. They continue to evolve,
    and fill the now unoccupied ecological niches left by the extinct higher
    animals. Dixon imagines the world 50 million years after Man’s demise.
    Rabbits have evolved to replace deer, and giant, wolf like rats have become
    the main predators. Penguins have taken over from seals and whales, and so
    on.

     What is theologically interesting is the idea of Man’s extinction. Most
    theology assumes that Man has to be there for God to be God. God will
    therefore never let Man become extinct.

    This puts me in mind of the prophets Amos and Jeremiah, and their vision
    that God would make an unrepentant Israel and Judah go extinct. No one
    believed them either.

    If the true purpose of God is to create an intelligent species that can
    relate to him, then possibly he can wipe out Man and start over. I know that
    this is far afield from traditional Christian eschatology, but Amos’
    preaching was far from traditional Israelite ideas about God and Israel.

    Until we are sure exactly how things will end up, we should be good stewards
    of this Earth . Otherwise, God may take away this kingdom, and give it to a
    people that will produce its fruit. (Matt 21:43)

    Shuan Rose
    2632 N Charles Street,Baltimore MD 21218
    [410]467-2655