Re: review of Pennock's book

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 10:11:23 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Allen Roy" <allenroy@peoplepc.com>

    > I don't think that Johnson needs for "naturalism" to explicity deny God in
    > order to be an established religion. ...there are well
    > established religions which do not have a supernatural God or gods, i.e.
    > Buddhism and Shintoism. Thus an established religion does not need to
    have
    > a supernatural God to be considered a religion. Naturalism or even
    > Methodological Naturalism can be considered religions in the general sense
    > so long as their adherants persue and believe the principles with zeal or
    > conscientious devotion. Both Naturalism and Methodological Naturalism,
    > within which the scientific method is usually conducted, are philosophical
    > assumptions that must be accepted as valid by faith. While we can show
    that
    > certain assumptions are true over and over again, the logical extention of
    > those assumptions into the past is based on the assumption that the past
    was
    > the same as the period of time over which experiments have been conducted.
    > That is something that cannot be known for certain, unless we have other
    > evidence to confirm or deny it was so, specifically, witness evidence.

    I suppose that there are many things that people may "pursue and believe the
    principles of with zeal or conscientious devotion," and if they want to call
    such things "religions" who can stop them? I also recognize that there are
    many, especially in the scientific community, for whom naturalism
    constitutes a belief system that rivals a religion. I do not hear
    naturalists chanting prayers or burning incense (as do Buddhists), however,
    or doing the kind of things one associates with a religion. Political
    parties congregate at regular seasons for their own rituals, and their
    adherents usually "pursue and believe their principles with zeal and
    devotion," but are they religions? If they are, then the term "religion"
    has been emptied of meaning; or, the figurative extensions of it have
    trumped its more literal understanding.

        Let's also avoid mixing up the terms "religion" and "philosophy." If
    methodological naturalism is a philosophical assumption, then let's not call
    it a "religion." If it is "established," it is because scientific work done
    within its framework has been incredibly fruitful. Its *utility* is
    established, and that is why scientists are loath to abandon it, just as
    they are loath to abandon the notion that "the assumption that the past was
    the same as the period of time over which experiments have been conducted."
    I'm not certain what Allen means by "witness evidence." Hopefully, not
    "eyewitness evidence." If rocks and fossils and other evidence from the
    past counts as witnesses, then I think scientists have good reason to
    continue to pursue research using the methodologies well established.

        Perhaps we could take a poll of ASAers who are or have been practicing
    scientists and ask them if they think methodological naturalism (I prefer
    not to capitalize it--capital letters have a way of serving ideological
    agendas) is a religion.

        Finally, has Johnson gone beyond his attack on methodological naturalism
    to make a case that "theistic science" is not a religion, or that it
    conflates science and religion? Has anyone in the ID group provided
    positive scientific research within the assumptions of theistic science to
    confirm or falsify Behe's "irreducible complexity" hypothesis? I assume
    they would not provide such research within the assumptions of
    methodological naturalism to confirm it, since they don't believe in the
    latter. It seems to me that the ID group will get nowhere until they move
    away from the negative (i.e., anti-evolutionist, anti-naturalist) elements
    of their program, and do the science they claim they can do. Clearly, they
    have to establish that their theistic science as a method is superior to
    naturalism as a method. Then, they have to establish that they are able to
    demonstrate through positive scientific research using this method that
    Behe's hypothesis is worthy of the name "theory," and that it will advance
    our understanding of nature, having revolutionized our understanding; or
    they need to come up with some other model which would be superior to
    Behe's. So far, they seem to be expending their capital in the negative
    phase and using primarily political methods to advance their claims (e.g.,
    Senator Santorum, the Ohio State School Board). When they are able to
    provide the science, as Kepler and Galileo did for Copernicus, then I'll
    begin to take their scientific claims seriously.

    Bob Schneider
    rjschn39@bellsouth.net

    .