Re: review of Pennock's book

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 10:09:22 EST

    Allen Roy wrote:

    > From: Marcio Pie <pie@bu.edu>
    > > There's a review of "Intelligent Design Creationism and Its Critics"
    > > (edited by Robert Pennock) in the latest issue of Science:
    > >
    > > http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/295/5564/2373
    > >
    > > Here are two interesting quotes:
    > >
    > > "Johnson continues to conflate these two forms of naturalism even after
    > > being called on the issue many times, but he has no choice. If he gives up
    > > the conflation, he has lost, because he cannot call naturalism a
    > > state-supported, established religion unless it explicitly denies the
    > > existence of God."
    >
    > I don't think that Johnson needs for "naturalism" to explicity deny God in
    > order to be an established religion. As I understand it, Atheism explicitly
    > denys the existance of God (as contrasted with the agnostic who claims to
    > not be able to know if God exists or not) and I don't think anyone would
    > consider Atheism an established religion. On the other hand there are well
    > established religions which do not have a supernatural God or gods, i.e.
    > Buddhism and Shintoism. Thus an established religion does not need to have
    > a supernatural God to be considered a religion. Naturalism or even
    > Methodological Naturalism can be considered religions in the general sense
    > so long as their adherants persue and believe the principles with zeal or
    > conscientious devotion.

            No. Something can legitimately be called a religion if it is what that
    person places his or her ultimate trust in. Cf. Luther, "A god is that to which
    we look for all good and in whom we find refuge in every time of need. To have
    a god is nothing else than to trust and believe him with our whole heart."
            A person can be "zealous" or "conscientiously devoted" to many things
    without them being his or her final confidence and trust. Christians are
    certainly supposed to be zealous & conscientiously devoted to our spouses but
    that doesn't mean we're to worship them. The fact that I'm zealous or
    conscientiously devoted to stamp collecting or the Cleveland Browns doesn't mean
    they're my religion.
            & the very fact that "methodological naturalism" is qualified means that
    it can hardly be "ultimate".

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy