Re: direct observation (was ASA Perspective)

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 01:49:45 EST

    As a long time advocate of the Soviet and now Russian space programe I have to
    say this one first they did not achieve. Yuri orbited the earth, but he did not
    see it as an entire globe (although he got a good view of its curvature). In
    that sense he did not directly observe the sphericity of the earth any more than
    Magellan's crew, or the pilots of high altitude aircraft, who saw its
    curvature. My understanding was that the Gemini 12 crew were the first who were
    the first to achieve an orbit with an apogee high enough to do so. In fact it
    was the Gemini 11 mission (Conrad and Gordon) who did so, they reached an
    altitude of 1360 km, also in 1966, thanks to a docked Agena. My apologies.

    Jon