Re: [Fwd: Christian education (was ASA Perspective)]

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 03:44:45 EST

    Jonathan Clarke wrote:

    > I set this to only Don, in error. Here it is for everyone.

    > Subject: Christian education (was ASA Perspective)
    > Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:08:34 +1100
    > From: Jonathan Clarke <jdac@alphalink.com.au>
    > To: Don Perrett <don.perrett@verizon.net>
    > CC: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu
    >
    > Hi Don
    >
    > "as a parent one has the right and responsibility for the education of their own
    > children" is the catch phrase (one of them at least) of the parent controlled
    > school movement. It is a truism, although it ignores some issues. What if the
    > parent wants their child taught that one racial group is superior to another?
    > What if the parent wants to teach the child that all nations other than their
    > own are to be treated as the enemy? What if the parent wants the child taught
    > that the earth is the centre of the universe. The upbringing of children is
    > also a community responsibility, and the community has an obligation to make
    > sure that parents to do abuse their responsibility. The there is the
    > responsibilities of teachers to teach the truth. Even in a parent controlled
    > school, teachers would (I hope) have a commitment to teach what is true, not
    > just what the parents want. But I have many friends who have taught in such
    > schools and know the struggles they have had with narrow minded parents.
    >
    > Jon

    The alternative to the Parent Controlled School is the Teacher
    Controlled School. That is what exists in the local communities near me.
    Massachusetts is notoriously ultra-liberal and much of the school system
    is controlled by teachers with a humanist background. While they wave
    the banner of religious freedom, their writings betray the fact that
    their goal is to eliminate Christian thought, not to coexist with it.

    For a nice discussion of the science-religion "war", an interesting web
    site is
    http://www.americanhumanist.org/humanism/war-science-religion.html
    Additional good reading are the humanist manifestos on that same
    web-site. There may not be a science-religion war in our minds, but
    their are people out there waging such a war --- like it or not.

    No system will be perfect, but I would sure like to see more parent
    controlled schools around here.

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must