[Fwd: Christian education (was ASA Perspective)]

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 01:25:08 EST

    I set this to only Don, in error. Here it is for everyone.

    attached mail follows:

    Hi Don

    "as a parent one has the right and responsibility for the education of their own
    children" is the catch phrase (one of them at least) of the parent controlled
    school movement. It is a truism, although it ignores some issues. What if the
    parent wants their child taught that one racial group is superior to another?
    What if the parent wants to teach the child that all nations other than their
    own are to be treated as the enemy? What if the parent wants the child taught
    that the earth is the centre of the universe. The upbringing of children is
    also a community responsibility, and the community has an obligation to make
    sure that parents to do abuse their responsibility. The there is the
    responsibilities of teachers to teach the truth. Even in a parent controlled
    school, teachers would (I hope) have a commitment to teach what is true, not
    just what the parents want. But I have many friends who have taught in such
    schools and know the struggles they have had with narrow minded parents.

    Jon