Re: ASA Perspective

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 10:28:32 EST

    Steamdoc Said

    > I think there are different aspects of the term "YEC" in play here. Certainly for many years there were many people who saw God's creative work as 6 24-hour days 6000 years ago (though others can document that this has by no means been the universal view of the church, as evidenced for example in the writings of Augustine).
    >
    > What is relatively "new" is the idea that this 144-hour interpretation is *essential* to the Christian faith. Maybe it is a bit sloppy to use "YEC" to refer to the view that not only the earth is young, but also that a young Earth is an essential doctrine. But since that is the view usually expressed by most young-Earth advocates, it is understandable to use the term YEC to refer to that commonly occurring pair of positions.

    I have only had in depth, personal discussions with one YEC. He
    definitely did NOT hold to that position and he stated that very few
    YECs do. He looked upon me as a Christian and I did the same with him.
    His belief was that he felt my Science/Bible reasoning was inconsistent
    and we took it from there. Frankly, I think that his logic was flawed
    but acceptable -- certainly as good as many of things I have seen posted
    on this listserve.

    If you look carefully, you will see that quite often a person's comments
    are superficially read and then jumped on. I do the same :( . I'll bet
    that YECs would be more prevalent on this listserve, if that were to
    change.

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>