Re: ASA Perspective

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 22:48:02 EST

    Jan de Koning wrote:

    > At 06:06 PM 11/03/02 -0500, Walter Hicks wrote:
    > >Michael Roberts wrote:
    > > >
    > > > What is current naturalist science?
    > >
    > >The material that is presented on this listserve about evolution or what
    > >may be found on origins.org.
    >
    > Here we go again. Talking in generalities makes answering impossible.

    Good Grief! Try this, Jan

    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2001/PSCF3-01Morton.html#Evolution\\\\

    Are you trying to play games with me? These views have REPEATEDLY been
    expressed by others since I joined this listserve a couple of months
    ago.

    > >To which I say "poppycock". You can make anything "infallible" if you
    > >just reinterpret the Bible every time that it does not hold water -- and
    > >call it theology. Reality is that the Bible is inspired writing but it
    > >does, in fact, have errors within it. Where does the Bible itself claim
    > >to be infallible?
    > >

    > >Walt
    >
    > I am sorry, but this way of talking does not get us anywhere. You
    > apparently do not know what theology is, nor do you appear to know what
    > science is. That makes talking almost impossible. I don't deny that
    > errors came into the translations, and the copying of the Bible, but the
    > number of these "errors" are small.
    >
    > Jan de K.

    Forgive me, Jan! My dictionary defines theology as the study of
    religion. I believed that -- how stupid I am ;-) And they passed out
    science degrees to any old fool who studied science back in my college
    days. My degrees are surely not worth the scrolls upon which they were
    conveyed ;(

    Belittling me does not prove your points at all. Unlike the RC Pope, the
    Bible does NOT declare itself to be infallible. Those "infallibly"
    statements are made by historical newcomers in the last few centuries
    --- followed up by recent people like you. Pardon me for not accepting
    neither their viewpoint NOR your proclamation. I DO have a lot of
    company and they have expressed themselves in this past month on this
    listserve. You certainly have seen them yourself--- have you not?!!!

    The "errors" in the Bible are fairly major in my view. That is not to
    subtract from its value -- but rather to add to its value on a more
    personal (and important!!) plane.

    To me the value of the Bible is to introduce a person to a personal
    relationship with with Jesus Christ --- one in which a person comes to
    know the Living God on a personal basis. Infallibility has nothing to
    with that and the NT Bible did not even exist when Jesus lit the Flame.
    The Flame still exists and so-called Biblical "infallibility" has
    NOTHING to do with it!! (IMHO)

    But I may be wrong as usual.

    Walt

    --