Re: ASA Perspective

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 17:38:59 EST

    > It is dangerous ground is to call anyone insane when they appear to be
    > as normal as everyone else but have different ideas. To be fair to
    > everyone involved, the issue is quite simply -- what do you believe most
    > strongly?

    Mine was a mischievous comment, not helped by recent reports of a
    state-funded creationist sympathising school in England.

    > If you believe that our current NATURALIST science tells the complete
    > truth then you must absolutely reject the first chapter of Genesis as
    > being partially flawed at best.

    What is current naturalist science?

    > If, on the other hand, you believe that the Bible is infallible, then
    > you have reject the claims of science.
    This is sheer nonsense, over the last 400 years or more many have believed
    both the claims of science and the infallibility of the Bible. I am one, so
    are most in the ASA (if not all) and in Christians in Science and the group
    for convicts down under (sorry Jon). The vast majority reputable
    evangelicals in the 19th century eg Warfield Hodge, Sedgwick, Hitchcock et
    al and most in the 20th Century believed in both until Creationists came
    along with their untenable and flawed ideas which are based on a
    misrepresentation and misreading of science.

    > Those are the basis of dicussion -- not endless harranges about fossil
    > records and the like(IMO).
    Yes I am happy to discuss the authority and infallibility of scripture and
    how scripture was written to teach us about Christ and not science. In other
    words how to go to heaven and not how the heavens go - either Galileo or the
    present pope.

    > Thinking that the other person is crazy is as incorrect as YEC can ever
    > be.
    > Dont take things too seriously.
    > Yeah, I know, you can't have an intelligent discussion with a YEC; we
    > tried; yadda, yadda, yadda.
    Can anyone point me to a YEC writer who does not misquote? A harsh but
    serious question. I have not been able to find one in 30years.

    > We recently had a young man who attempted to discuss ID with this group.
    > He told me privately that he got the most denigrating responses ever
    > from this group and he now struggled with Christian love for such
    > people. That really is a shame! :

    I missed that discussion(

    > A little less science and a lot more Christian love and reaching out
    > might be a better choice -- even if it is met with a slap.

    An ASA list serve will have plenty of science but it needs to be informed by
    decent theology and respect of others.

    Michael