Virgin Birth

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 00:03:48 EST

    Time for something completely different.

    My understanding, without background references is that the traditional
    justification for the virgin birth was that it was how Christ obtained a
    sinless nature. My suspicion is this related to ancient ideas on how
    conception occurred, that the man planted the seed in the woman who
    essentially provided the a suitable host. This idea of conception seems
    to have survived into the early microscope era, I recall seeing early
    drawings of sperm where people thought they could see homunculi in the
    sperm. Thus with the virgin birth, God provided the seed and mary was
    simply the cooperative recipient. Am I correct in this, or right off
    base?

    Now I take the Virgin Birth as a "given". In that case, in the light of
    the modern understanding of what happens at conception, how do we
    understand it, and more importantly, what is the theolological
    justification?

    Jon