Re: Virgin Birth

From: Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 21:37:02 EST

    >It's entirely possible that, in viewing the virgin birth as a sign, you are
    >not at all discounting the truth that God also acted decisively in the
    >life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. But my tradition tends to
    >start from the other end -- that it was God's historical action in Christ
    >that is the fundamental meaning of the incarnation and resurrection of
    >Christ, rather than the communication of divine truths, principles or
    >insights.

    I agree that "it was God's historical action in Christ that is the
    fundamental meaning of the incarnation and resurrection of Christ." I also
    see the incarnation as a fundamental entry of divinity into humanity and
    creation (or rather God's assuming of our created nature). However, it
    seems that the virgin birth is not essential to God's assuming our nature,
    but rather serves as a testimony pointing to that incarnational reality.

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology
    Kansas State University