Re: Genesis One that Fits

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 12:07:45 EST

    >From: "Jim Eisele" <jeisele@starpower.net>

    > However, I am uncomfortable mashing the Bible with science. Let the Bible
    > be the Bible.

    Yes, much noise & heat could be avoided by doing exactly that. If we "Let
    the Bible be the Bible" we would stop forcing that text, written in the
    Ancient Near Eastern and Greek/Roman conceptual vocabularies and written to
    address the questions of that day, to provide simple and unambiguous answers
    to modern scientific questions. We would stop trying to settle the endless
    and futile arguments over the age of the universe or the adequacy of
    evolutionary theories by (pious but misguided) appeal to the biblical text.

    Yes, by all means, let the Bible be the Bible.

    Howard Van Till