Genesis One that Fits

From: Jim Eisele (jeisele@starpower.net)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 05:04:56 EST

    Hello, everyone. I just sent my membership in for the ASA. My name is Jim
    Eisele. I live in Rockville, MD. I've been fascinated by a lot of what
    I've read on the ASA website.

    So far, numerous attempts have been made to reconcile Genesis One with
    science. Many are impressive. But something is missing.

    Day 3 overlaps into day 6. And so does day 5. I guess that you could argue
    day 2 does also.

    What I've read seems very unwilling to accept this reality. I'm not sure
    exactly when fruit trees began, because this information is avoided. But
    Genesis 1:29 indicates that fruit trees are for human food. So pretending
    they are some other type of primitive trees is an effort to reconcile
    without reconciling. Real fruit trees come after reptiles.

    Likewise, birds (day 5) come after reptiles. Some try to say the text
    refers to insects. At best, that is an unnecessary stretch. I couldn't
    help but laugh at a God who would mention insects but not birds. (Even if I
    didn't laugh out loud, He would know that I was laughing on the inside).

    Look, the text indicates fruit trees on day 3, birds on day 5, and reptiles
    (including the unpleasant reality of the serpent) on day 6.

    Does the "day of Adam" come before the "day of Seth?" Of course it does.
    Do they overlap? Of course they do. Does day 3 belong before day 5 which
    belongs before day 6? Of course. Is each day a grouping? Of course. Do
    they overlap? Of course. Does God care too much about the ordering of day
    6? Apparently not. Otherwise, why would Gen 1:24 carry a different order
    than Gen 1:25?

    Is Genesis One a prophetic foretelling of future scientific knowledge? I've
    been stunned by the evidence. I feel much more secure on the Yes side of
    that than I would feel on the other side.

    However, I am uncomfortable mashing the Bible with science. Let the Bible
    be the Bible.