Re: Genesis One that Fits

From: robert6625 (robert6625@msn.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 15:35:26 EST

    Welcome to the ASA Jim. It is a fun group.

    I would like to make 2 general points about reading Genesis 1 and 2.

    1. It has been pointed out on this list in the past that Genesis 1 has a
    structure - day 1 and 4, 2 and 5, 3 and 6 are paired. The first pair, day 1
    and 4, are both about the creation of of the lights in the sky, with day 1
    introducing the topic and day 4 expanding the topic with more detail. And so
    on for the other 2 pair. This should relieve somewhat the concern about
    which thing was created first.

    2. Our need to read Genesis 1 and 2 in chronological order is a cultural
    thing. We are a logical sequential people, but that does not mean the that
    the ancient Hebrew society was. Read the rest of the OT and you will find it
    is quite common for events to NOT be in chronological order, even when they
    are reporting history.

    Bob Miller