RE: 19th century YECs.

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 09:29:57 EST

    Hi Jon,

    I don't have any Oz YECs from that period nor do I know of any and you all
    exported Ken Ham to the US where he could make lots of money. However, in
    the 1800s my feeling is (only a feeling) that the US was already more
    literalist than the UK, but there were members of the species on both sides
    of the Alantic.

    >> "But let us generously suppose that these remote ancestors,
    >> beginning with one pair, doubled their numbers in 1612.51 years,
    >> one-tenth as rapidly as the Jews, or 1240 times in 2,000,000 years.
    >> If we raise 2 to the 1240th power, the result is
    >> 18,932,139,737,991 with 360 figures following." ~ William A.
    >> Williams, Evolution Disproved, (privately published, 1925), p. 10.
    >>

    >This is a new one on me. Can you tell me more?

    He was a preacher and his pamphelt was in its 53rd printing in 1953. It is a
    sad little tract and that is about all I know of Williams. His daughter was
    selling these things long after his death and she lived in Texas.

    >> Rimmer was extremely influential, he is just forgotten today. He
    >wrote lots
    >> of books which sold a whole lot, long before Henry began his career as a
    >> writer.
    >>

    >And didn't even get a mention from him in the "Genesis Flood". Is
    >he mentioned
    >in "History of Modern Creationism"? I don't have that bit.

    Yes he is mentioned in "history". As to Genesis Flood, Whitcomb and Morris
    didn't bother to give credit to lots of people whose ideas they confiscated.
    Price was the most notable non-mention in Henry's book.

    >> > What were people
    >> >reading in Christian magazines, newspapers, hearing in Sunday
    >> >School? I think this is
    >> >an area worthy of research.
    >>
    >> Well, they were buying the books I am reading during the 19th century.

    >The number of times these books were reprinted (and where) would
    >be telling. It
    >would give us an idea as to how late old ideas were still in
    >circulation. After
    >all, isn't "The Genesis Flood" still in publication? My copy is the 24th
    >printing (1980), so goodness knows what it is up to now.

    There was tremendous interest in the Science/Scripture issue. Figuier's
    continental-sized flood book sold from 1863 until 1895 and was reprinted
    many times during that interval. Hugh Miller's books were published for over
    20 years. The number of books illustrates that as well as how long some of
    them were published. Look at the following list of books.Books on the
    harmonization of scritpure with science I know of but don't own:

    Noah: or, The Man of Two Worlds. With the Story of the Deluge. Revised by
    Daniel P. Kidder
    New York: Published by Lane & Scott for the Sunday-School Union of the
    Methodist Episcopal Church, Joseph Longking, Printer, 1850

    Rawlinson, George The Historical evidences of the truth of the Scripture
    Records stated anew John Murray London, England 1860.

    Henry Taylor. AN ATTEMPT TO FORM A SYSTEM OF THE CREATION OF OUR GLOBE, OF
    THE PLANETS, AND THE SUN OF OUR SYSTEM; FOUNDED ON THE FIRST CHAPTER OF
    GENESIS, ON THE GEOLOGY OF THE EARTH, AND ON THE MODERN DISCOVERIES IN THAT
    SCIENCE, AND THE KNOWN OPERATIONS OF THE LAWS OF NATURE.. Second Edition,
    Revised and Enlarged.
    (Quebec: Cowan, 1840)

    Thompson, Joseph P.: MAN IN GENESIS AND IN GEOLOGY: OR THE BIBLICAL ACC
    OUNT OF MAN'S CREATION,. TESTED BY SCIENTIFIC THEORY. NY:1870

    Whewell, William, Indications of the Creator. Extracts, Bearing upon
    Theology, from the History and the Philosophy of the Inductive Sciences, 2nd
    ed. (London: John W. Parker, 1846).

    Higgins, W.M.[Mullinger] The Mosaical and Mineral Geologies, Illustrated and
    Compared
    London Simpkin & Marshall 1833

    Galloway, William Brown SCIENCE AND GEOLOGY IN RELATION TO THE UNIVERSAL
    DELUGE
    London THYNNE 1888

    Wiggins (Ezekiel S.) THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE HEAVENS: ... a New Theory of
    the Universe and the Extent of the deluge and the Testimony of the Bible and
    Geology In Opposition to the VIEWS OF DR. COLENSO. John Lovell. Montreal,
    1864

    Sienkiewicz, Henryk The Deluge Little Brown and Company 1891

    Lenormant, Francois. THE BEGINNINGS OF HISTORY According to the Bible and
    the Traditions of Oriental Peoples: From the Creation of Man to the Deluge.
    New York: Scribner's, 1899. Translated by Francis Brown

    HASSKARL, Rev. G. C.H. The Terrible Catastrophe, or Biblical Deluge
    C. Henry 1885 Philadelphia, PA

    Cumming, John The Church Before The Flood Boston: John P. Jewett & Co. 1854

    Howorth, H. H. THE MAMMOTH AND THE FLOOD
    London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1887

    Dr. Young of Whitby, Essay on the Deluge

    Wyeth, S.D. Bible Stories in Bible Words: The World Before the Flood and
    Scenes in the Lives of the Patriarchs Philadelphia Fisher & Brother 1864.

    Hales, William. A New Analysis of Chronology and Geography, History and
    Prophecy. Second Edition, Corrected and Improved. London: Printed for C. J.
    G. & F. Rivington, 1830

    Thus while the philosophical winners of the day were congratulating
    themselves, the laity were lapping up books on the issue which were not
    always saying what the winners were. Two different cultures speaking only
    to themselves is largely what I see. And even today one sees that. The YECs
    and anti-evolutionists retreat to closed e-mail lists so that they don't
    have to hear how wrong they are.(example: ICR's closed web site Phil
    Johnson's private list).

    >I was speaking to an SDA friend who knows Ronald Numbers. His
    >work of Ellen
    >White is of course of great interest to that church. My friend
    >mentions that
    >while the sources of White's ideas on heath, diet, etc., have been largely
    >discovered, where he geological ideas came from have not yet surfaced.

    Stoner suggests something about this:

            "Because White's early followers regarded her visions as
    being equal in authority with the Bible, they believed the
    creation days had to be 24 hours long. One of these followers
    George McCready Price had some scientific training. When he
    began encountering geological evidence for the antiquity of the
    earth, he realized he had a problem. After some searching, he
    found what he believed to be the solution in another of White's
    visions:
            "[After the flood] The beautiful, regular shaped
    mountains had disappeared. Stones, ledges, and ragged
    rocks appeared upon some parts of the earth which were
    before out of sight. Where had been hills and mountains,
    no traces of them were visible...

            Before the flood there were immense forests. The trees
    were many times larger than any tress which we now
    see...At the time of the flood these forests were torn up
    or broken down and buried in the earth. In some places
    large quantities of these immense trees were thrown
    together and covered with stones and earth by the
    commotions of the flood. They have since petrified and
    become coal, which accounts for the large coal beds which
    are now found. This coal has produced oil..."

            "White claimed that Noah's flood had caused a great deal of
    geological commotion. Price reasoned that if all of the
    geological evidence for an old earth could be explained by this
    commotion, then he did not need to abandon White's 24-hour
    creation days. So Price took on the immense task of rewriting
    the entire science of geology to conform it to White's visions
    of the creation and the flood." ~ Ellen White, Facts of Faith
    in connection with the History of Holy Men of Old, (Battle
    Creek, Mi: Steam Press, 1864), p. 78-79 cited by Don Stoner, A
    New Look at an Old Earth," (Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House
    Publishers, 1997), p. 122-123

    "When Moris needed an explanation for the formation of coal, he
    had one essentially ready to go in Price's writings. The
    connection between price's and Morris's descriptions is not
    explicit, but it is still easily visible." ~ Don Stoner, A New
    Look at an Old Earth," (Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House
    Publishers, 1997), p. 125

    personal stories of struggle