RE: Harry Rimmer not a YEC; Rimmer and Morris

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 08:48:31 EST

    I will bow to your superior knowledge of Rimmer, but let me as, would people
    of that day, reading Rimmer, have also thought he was a YEC? And just for
    the record, in my note, I did know of and acknowledge to the group the
    possibility that he was a Gap person.

    >But Rimmer was clear about his support for the gap view, as vs a "young"
    >universe. In *exactly* the same year in which he argued so strongly for
    >literal days vs Riley (1929), he published "Modern Science and the
    >First Day
    >of Creation," later incorporated into Modern Science and the
    >Genesis Record.

    >Whatever one may say about Rimmer, he was *not* an advocate of a "young"
    >earth. He *did* constantly badger scientists to "prove" claims
    >for the ages
    >of fossils, particularly hominid fossils, but he didn't doubt the great
    >antquity of the earth and the universe. He tried inconsistently to
    >amalgamate Price with Scofield, just as he tried inconsistently to do
    >numerous other things--inconsistency being one of Rimmer's hallmarks.
    >
    >As for Rimmer and Morris, the latter speaks directly about his debt to the
    >former, in A History of Modern Creationism (1984). Morris invited
    >Rimmer to
    >speak at Rice, admired him, and says that he modeled his own career on
    >Rimmer's. I also think (though can't back it up as I can for Morris) that
    >Gish modeled his debating style on Rimmer's. For Rimmer's part, I think if
    >he were alive today, he'd be a YEC at least for the fellowship, if not for
    >the truth of it. But he wasn't, and thus (ironically) the CRS can't give
    >him posthumous membership, though he more than anyone else showed them how
    >to be a "Scientific" creationist.

    Thanks for the correction.

    personal stories of struggle