P.J. Bowler book

From: Cmekve@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 20:01:51 EST

    I just finished reading one of my Christmas gifts and thought others might be
    interested in it. Historian Peter J. Bowler (Queen's Univ. - Belfast)
    recently published the book "Reconciling Science and Religion: The Debate in
    Early Twentieth Century Britain" (Univ. of Chicago Press, 2001). It deals
    with scientists, theologians, and the 'general culture' (including C.S.
    Lewis) from post-Darwin to roughly World War II. It's a fascinating overview
    and helped this North American to put the British situation and some
    semi-familiar names into a much more coherent narrative. Also notable are
    some similarities between today's situation with the period covered in the
    book (e.g., increased materialism and 'spiritualism').

    I'd recommend the book for any science/religion history buffs out there.
    Perhaps Michael Roberts will eventually get a chance to read it and give us a
    UK impression.

    Karl
    Karl V. Evans
    cmekve@aol.com