Re: P.J. Bowler book

From: Cmekve@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 22:59:27 EST

    Jack-
    I at least partially grant your comment, but Bowler did write "The argument
    developed in this book DEPENDS CRUCIALLY [my emphasis] on this point: the
    reconciliation proposed between nonmaterialistic science and liberal
    Christianity was based on a continued belief in progress and in the
    purposefulness of the material universe [p. 23]". (Though he also added
    "Curiously, the literary elite paralleled more traditional Christian
    thinkers, both evangelical and Catholic, in rejecting this faith, although
    for very different reasons [p.23]".

    Thus I didn't mean to imply that Bowler ignored everything but liberal
    theology; only that such was his main concern, around which other
    events/people are arranged. Also, there were evangelical voices but they
    were mostly Scottish, and Bowler admits that he stuck pretty much to the
    "golden triangle" of Cambridge-Oxford-London.

    Karl
    Karl V. Evans
    cmekve@aol.com

    In a message dated 1/15/02 8:29:57 AM Mountain Daylight Time,