Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 04:54:23 EST

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > Peter,
    >
    > After offering a rather lengthy definition of "macroevoution" you say:
    >
    > > For the moment, let me call it macroevolution-T, as its
    > > defining feature is the transastronomical improbability of such a
    > > macroevolution-T step.
    >
    > As I have noted before, I sincerely doubt that we know enough about all
    > possible pathways (and in the presence of all possible environments) to do a
    > numerical evaluation of the probabilities in question. Without those
    > numerical values, how would we know if "hidden options" need be exercised?

    I dealt with this question in my paper "How has life and its diversity
    been produced?" PSCF 44/2 (June 1992), 80-94. As our data are very
    sparse, the necessity for "hidden options" cannot be proved, just made
    plausible by the distribution of the evidence for and against: there is
    much less evidence for the plausibility of such macroevolution-T
    transitions by random processes than against it.

    > > The conventional view of evolution claims that the various known
    > > evolutionary mechanisms are fully adequate to account for all of
    > > evolution. With this, I disagree: in my opinion they are incapable of
    > > successfully producing macroevolution-T. However, for the theological
    > > reason given above, this fact must be hidden in "God's hidden options",
    > > which are not accessible to scientific investigation. At present, the
    > > vast majority of the available evidence suggests that macroevolution-T
    > > is an all-pervasive reality.
    >
    > See comment above.

    See comment above.

    > Later you express a rather comprehensive view of God's _responsibility_ for
    > what takes place in this world:
    >
    > > God is the agent responsible for:
    > > (1) all explicitely (in the biblical record) creative acts;
    > > (2) all "natural" events and processes (in the Bible often attributed to
    > > God);
    > > (3) all parameter selections in the realm of "hidden options";
    > > (4) all miracles not reducible to "natural" events and processes
    > > ("signs").
    > > The only exception to God's activity and responsibility is the free will
    > > he has given to some of his creatures (humans and angels) - in some
    > > circumstances.
    >
    > Isn't this the perspective that led Darwin to ask whether God was
    > responsible for the Lisbon earthquake (that killed thousands of people,
    > including many at worship, as I recall) or the death of his daughter? Are
    > you really comfortable with the idea that God is the "responsible agent" for
    > all such events? These are examples of events that cannot be ascribed to
    > faults in human free will.
    >
    > Howard

    Here we go with the theodicy problem. If God is almighty and all-loving,
    couldn't he prevent natural disasters? Much more competent people than I
    have dealt with this. I don't think we can be true to biblical
    revelation and doubt that God is almighty and all-loving. The conundrum
    must be solved by some combination of (at least) the following three
    considerations:
    (1) Free-will decisions accorded to angels and humans in some
    circumstances;
    (2) logical implications of God's creation including all "natural"
    mechanisms (like plate tectonics, which is essential for human life);
    (3) God taking the depth of all suffering on himself on the cross.

    Peter