Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 15:45:48 EST

    > From: "Howard J. Van Till" <hvantill@novagate.com>
    > To: Tim Ikeda <tikeda@sprintmail.com>, asa@calvin.edu
    > Subject: Re: What does the creation lack?
    > Date: Mon, Oct 29, 2001, 8:57 AM
    >
    > >From: Tim Ikeda <tikeda@sprintmail.com>
    >
    > > The mechanism is irrelevant, possibly even in
    > the case of natural,
    > > extra-terrestrial designers because we'd
    > probably never know the details.
    > > The question isn't about which back door a
    > "designer" would use to futz
    > > with a system, but whether a particular system
    > can make the transformation
    > > from state-X to state-Y without help from
    > outside the immediate system.
    >
    > Here is where Peter Ruest's proposal differs from
    > the usual episodic creationist and ID approach.
    > Peter suggested in his Communication to PSCF (the
    > ASA Journal) that all relevant formational
    > capabilities are actually present so that no
    > creaturely system would have to be forced to do
    > anything beyond or contrary to it capabilities.
    >
    > > If the system can't make the transition to where
    > you want it to go without
    > > your tweaking, then I wouldn't say that it had
    > "all requisite formational
    > > capabilities" or that such action wouldn't be
    > "violating or overpowering
    > > the natural capabilities of any creaturely
    > system."
    >
    > Here is where the Ruest approach (similar to the
    > approaches of Wm. Pollard and Bob Russell)
    > technically avoids the idea of "violating and
    > overpowering" by proposing that God
    > surreptitiously chooses from among several
    > possible outcomes the particular one that advances
    > things in the desired direction. What the system
    > in question does is within its capabilities.
    >
    > At that point I think you and I would probably ask
    > the same question: Why was this divine choosing
    > action required? Peter's answers (if I correctly
    > understand him): (1) because the probability of
    > the creaturely system making the optimum choice is
    > too small, and (2) because this allows the Creator
    > to insert information into the universe --
    > information that the universe needs if it is to
    > accomplish the intended formational development.
    >
    > > If you change
    > > probabilities to determine which slugs will live
    > and serve your ultimate
    > > goals by evolving into the perfect, live-animal
    > prop for a particular
    > > Star Trek episode (perhaps evolving photogenic
    > beauty was at one time
    > > outside the formational capabilities of
    > "pre-intervention" slugs),
    > > you're messing with natural capabilities big
    > time.
    > >
    > > So what we're talking about here sounds like a
    > classic variant of
    > > progressive creationism. Let's just call it
    > that.
    >
    > It may not be a "classic" variant, but I'm
    > inclined to agree that it is a variant of
    > progressive creationism. The replacement of
    > capability gaps with improbability hurdles seems
    > too small a modification to get out of the PC
> [...]

    No, they are fundamentally different.
    Capability gaps: unforeseen, design imperfections, even goofing, ...
    Improbability hurdles: foreseen, inherent in the optimal design of the
    system-as-a-whole, necessary for showing God's loving involvement in
    providence, necessary part of the planned natural mechanism of
    development of the creation.

    Peter