RE: Phil Johnson

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 19:02:04 EDT

    Moorad wrote:

    >I can't make any sense out of your post. I hope you do not mean what I think
    >you mean. Moorad

    I think PJ is to Christianity as Pete Rose is to baseball, only
    worse. When we are unable to reach scientists and well-educated
    individuals because they reject the gospel message as unbelievable, they
    spend an eternity in hell. That's HELL, Moorad. PJ's message is
    counterproductive, in my estimation, meaning that on balance we lose more
    than we win. Reduced to simple terms, PJ's message is that if there is a
    God there can be no evolution, or if evolution is true, there is no
    God. (If I misunderstand that then please correct me.)

    Contrast that message with Howard Van Till's that there is a God and there
    is evolution. If Howard is wrong, no harm done. If PJ is wrong (and he
    is), he has given all those who know or believe in the science of evolution
    a reason to disbelieve. His message only hardens those who might otherwise
    believe. At the same time, he gives Christians a false message which
    sounds plausible enough, but do we gain any new Christians? I think not.

    If I thought that my message had the potential of causing any person to
    reject the gospel of Jesus Christ I would rather that God remove me from
    the playing field. Far better my physical life be shortened then that
    anyone should endure an eternity of "weeping," "wailing," and "gnashing of
    teeth" (Matt. 8:12; 13:42; 13:50; 22:13; 24:51; 25:30; Luke 13:28).

    We might disagree as to whether his overall impact is positive or negative,
    but many on this list have voiced strong objections to his message, and I
    agree with them. Would Christianity fare better with some if its soldiers
    off the battle field and in the infirmary? Yes, I believe it would.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"