Re: PBS Evolution (and Keith Miller)

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 13:42:30 EDT

    Mark wrote,
    << Are there other thoughts and ideas on how Adam and the garden
     coincide with current human evolutionary theory? I would be
     interested in hearing any. >>

    I fundamentally agree with Keith. However, just to be clear: There are two
    issues. One is how did a hominid become a human being in the modern sense of
    homo sapiens, which is at least a part of being made in the image of God? I
    don't think Gen 1-3 was written to reveal the answer to this question. Any
    hominid chosen would already have life and spirit since all animals in the
    biblical view have life and spirit, eg. Gen 7:22. Although Morton posits a
    still-born ape or the like to be the object into which God breathes the
    spirit of life, I think this is an unnecessary addition to the probable
    actual historical sequence. Gen 1-11 is composed of stories of the time
    employed by God to reveal theology. There is no way the actual historical
    events are going to line up tit for tat with those stories. (I illustrate
    this, incidentally, with the story of the Tower of Babel in a paper coming
    out in the next Westminster Theological Journal.)

    The second question, that of original sin, is the real issue: How did sin
    enter the world? All that is necessary theologically is that there actually
    was a first man and woman who sinned. this presumes that there was a first
    man and woman who became aware of God and of their responsibility to do his
    will (which may also relate to being made in the image of God). Thus at some
    point God revealed himself to a pair of human beings for the first time, that
    pair was ADAM (Gen 1:26, let us make ADAM in our image and let _them_ have
    dominion). The actual date, place, and circumstances of this event are beyond
    our present knowledge. Nor does Gen 1-3 give us the answer to this historical
    question.

    Those supposedly committed to a literal view of Gen 2-3, often cite Paul's
    parallel in Rom 5 of the man named Adam with Christ as evidence that Gen 2-3
    was historically literally accurate. This argument is not logically valid for
    several reasons, but I will only point out here that Paul's point is
    theological, not historical. He is not committed to an absolutely literal
    interpretation of Gen 2-3 for he says in 5:12, "as through one man sin
    entered the world...and vv. 14 and 15 imply that he is referring to the male
    of the pair, the man named Adam. But in Gen 3:6 it is the woman who first
    eats the forbidden fruit. Thus a truly literal interpretation would demand
    that a person say "through one _woman_ sin entered the world." Some early
    Jewish writings make a point of this fact. We should learn from Romans 5:12,
    therefore, that it is not the historical details of Gen 1-3 which are the
    revelation, but the theology. The issue is original sin, and that is an issue
    of representation: "Adam" whoever he may have been, represented all of us.

    You will find one of the best expositions on this subject in John J.
    Jefferson's paper in the book, Inerrancy and Common Sense, edited by Roger
    R. Nicole & J. Ramsey Michaels, Baker, 1980.

    Best wishes,

    Paul