Re: PBS Evolution (and Keith Miller)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 15:22:56 EDT

    PHSEELY@aol.com wrote:

    > Mark wrote,
    > << Are there other thoughts and ideas on how Adam and the garden
    > coincide with current human evolutionary theory? I would be
    > interested in hearing any. >>
    >
    > I fundamentally agree with Keith. However, just to be clear: There are two
    > issues. One is how did a hominid become a human being in the modern sense of
    > homo sapiens, which is at least a part of being made in the image of God? I
    > don't think Gen 1-3 was written to reveal the answer to this question. Any
    > hominid chosen would already have life and spirit since all animals in the
    > biblical view have life and spirit, eg. Gen 7:22. Although Morton posits a
    > still-born ape or the like to be the object into which God breathes the
    > spirit of life, I think this is an unnecessary addition to the probable
    > actual historical sequence. Gen 1-11 is composed of stories of the time
    > employed by God to reveal theology. There is no way the actual historical
    > events are going to line up tit for tat with those stories. (I illustrate
    > this, incidentally, with the story of the Tower of Babel in a paper coming
    > out in the next Westminster Theological Journal.)
    >
    > The second question, that of original sin, is the real issue: How did sin
    > enter the world? All that is necessary theologically is that there actually
    > was a first man and woman who sinned. this presumes that there was a first
    > man and woman who became aware of God and of their responsibility to do his
    > will (which may also relate to being made in the image of God). Thus at some
    > point God revealed himself to a pair of human beings for the first time, that
    > pair was ADAM (Gen 1:26, let us make ADAM in our image and let _them_ have
    > dominion). The actual date, place, and circumstances of this event are beyond
    > our present knowledge. Nor does Gen 1-3 give us the answer to this historical
    > question.
    >
    > Those supposedly committed to a literal view of Gen 2-3, often cite Paul's
    > parallel in Rom 5 of the man named Adam with Christ as evidence that Gen 2-3
    > was historically literally accurate. This argument is not logically valid for
    > several reasons, but I will only point out here that Paul's point is
    > theological, not historical. He is not committed to an absolutely literal
    > interpretation of Gen 2-3 for he says in 5:12, "as through one man sin
    > entered the world...and vv. 14 and 15 imply that he is referring to the male
    > of the pair, the man named Adam. But in Gen 3:6 it is the woman who first
    > eats the forbidden fruit. Thus a truly literal interpretation would demand
    > that a person say "through one _woman_ sin entered the world." Some early
    > Jewish writings make a point of this fact. We should learn from Romans 5:12,
    > therefore, that it is not the historical details of Gen 1-3 which are the
    > revelation, but the theology. The issue is original sin, and that is an issue
    > of representation: "Adam" whoever he may have been, represented all of us.

> [...]

            While watching last night's program I was struck by the fact that most of
    the Christians seemed to be making several very common, but debatable,
    assumptions.

            1) What it means to be human - "image of God" &c - is to be learned from
    the way the human race began.
            2) Sin & the need for salvation assume the existence of an historical
    fall.
            3) Christ came only as a sacrifice for sin.
    Concerning these -
            1) If this were true then we'd have little guidance because paleontology
    tells us almost nothing about the spiritual state of the first humans, & more
    importantly, the Bible tells us very little about them either! But in fact it is
    Christ, not Adam & Eve, who define genuine humanity for us.
            2) The universal sinfulness of humankind does not require the doctrine
    of original sin in its traditional form. (By saying this I by no means want to
    deny that doctrine!) In Romans Paul speaks of sin as a basic problem affecting
    all people in Chapters 1-3 before he gets to any mention of Adam in Chapter 5.
            3) This view has been held by many theologians but others - Irenaeus,
    Duns Scotus, Barth, e.g., have argued that the Incarnation was God's intention
    for creation even apart from sin, & that idea has some support from, e.g.,
    Eph.1:10.

            Issues having to do with the relationship of the first humans with God
    and the historical origins of sin are important & I don't suggest that they be
    ignored. They should, however, be dealt with in the light of the points I make
    above. The idea that historicity of Adam & Eve & their sin is "the article by
    which the church stands and falls" puts undue stress on a lot of Christians, as
    the comments of some of the Wheaton students on the program brought out.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/