Re: Important creationist book/ RC Sproul

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 12:23:37 EDT

    I attach a quickie, superficial THEOLOGICAL critique of Kelly's book I did
    for the Assoc of Christian Geologists listserve a month ago. I omitted any
    scientific critique as I assumed most geologists could do that for
    themselves. Please take this as a rushed job which would need polishing. I
    am afraid I find it not a good book.

    This is to get the discussion going!!

    As I said his geology is poor.

    POLYSTRATE FOSSILS

    Ted be careful. Deposition does not occur at a steady rate but like a
    soldiers' life. Years of monotonous drill interpsersed by a few hours
    action. Take the cola measures. Work in the 80s by Fred Broadhurst of
    Manchester Univ showed that a coal seam could take 80,000 years to deposit
    and then the sevaral thick seams of sand inbetween could be laid rapidly e,g
    a foot in a weekend. Now apply that to Yellowstone and you will have the
    total time of the sevaral layers (27) taking 50 my but the depoistion of the
    sediment around the trees taking weeks for each strata (even if several) and
    then a long pause while the forests grew. (Jeff Greenberg I need your help
    here!) However Yellowstone can only be comparable with St Helens if nneither
    appear to have a root system.

    With the floods caused by heavy rainfall in the UK last year I noted that 6
    inches of sediment were laid down locally on occasion in a day. I had walked
    that river bank for 14 years and have never seen deposition before.

    Be careful in allowing oneself to be convinced because sedimentation can
    take place at a rate of feet per day it will keep it up for a long time.
    However the succesion of strata with clear top and bottoms of beds indicate
    a pause inbetween so the top can dry out or consilidate before the next
    layer. So how long does that take? For Wheaton gen ed geologists I tried to
    play with this in June. We were looking at a succession from the Cambrain to
    the Creataceous say 20,000ft thick. One day we were looking at a 40ft cliff
    of Cambrian sandstone and as half my students were YEC, I asked them to
    count the layers . They came to 70. Now I allowed a day to deposit each
    layer and asked how long a pause between layers. Suggestion - at least a
    week. So for that 40ft you needed 8X 70 days i.e. 560 days - which rules
    out Noah .
    There were about 20,000 beds in our succession so that would need 8X20,000
    days i.e. 160,000 days i.e 450 years assuming rapid depostion by rivers in
    flood.

    Clarely this needs to be put over in a sophiscated manner but then even
    allowing rapid depostion as Creationists insist on we end up with too long a
    time for YEC to be substantiated.

    Also there has been little deposition since Mt St helens blew up in 1980.

    OK a crude method but it does highlight the time needed.

    Anyway dear Charles Lyell knew all about rapid catastrophic events and even
    wrote about them in his Principles of Geology.

    Michael roberts