Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einstein and Hammond proved God exists)

From: George Andrews Jr. (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 16:35:54 EDT

    Hi Dave;

    You wrote to George M.:

    "D. F. Siemens, Jr." wrote:

    > George,
    > If I restrict myself to your exclusion of temporal considerations, the
    > answer is "Yes." But this is like the infamous "Have you quit beating
    > your wife yet?" I contend that a proper view of the deity recognizes that
    > the Creator is never surprised, indeed, cannot be surprised, whether by
    > what is being studied in complexity theory or by the free choices of
    > human beings. My question was posed to show that mathematics is a human
    > activity, a task taken on by a subcreator.
    > Dave

    Why would a view of a deity who limits him/herself be "improper"? Perhaps
    God really wanted to know what Adam would call the animals without "tapping
    into His/Her omniscience." This surly would make things more interesting
    for the deity; at least from our point of view. :-)

    Sincerely
    George A.

    --
    George A. Andrews Jr.