Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einstein and Hammond proved God exists)

From: Tom Pearson (pearson@panam1.panam.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 17:29:23 EDT

    At 04:35 PM 09/04/2001 -0400, George Andrews Jr. wrote:

    >Why would a view of a deity who limits him/herself be "improper"?

    If we are talking about the Christian deity, then it's because such a
    proposal wreaks havoc with the traditional doctrine of God. That doctrine
    posits certain attributes of God -- omnipotence, omniscience,
    omnibenevolence, et al -- as being essential expressions of God's being.
    You cannot "limit" any of those attributes without abandoning the
    traditional portrayal of the Christian God. A Christian God whose
    omnipotence can be curtailed may turn out to be a God who cannot perform
    the miracle of redeeming and reconciling his fallen creation. A Christian
    God whose omniscience can be tampered with may not in fact know the needs
    and sufferings of his own flock (Matthew 6:32). We may not like the
    traditional depiction of God's being, and feel it needs revision, but any
    revision will produce a different picture of God.

    Furthermore, the notion that the Christian God can "limit himself" is
    simply incoherent. If, say, God's omnipotence is to be limited, what is it
    within God that would do the limiting? Is there something more omnipotent
    than God's omnipotence that would limit God's omnipotence? And what kind
    of thing is "limited omnipotence," or "limited omniscience"? The questions
    quickly become thoroughly gnarled. Most of the arguments of this sort that
    I have encountered make some type of distinction between God's being (as
    exemplified in his traditional attributes) and God's will. Then, as the
    argument goes, God can choose to limit himself by exercising his will. But
    this makes God's will more omnipotent than God's omnipotence, and we are
    back to incoherence. In addition, do we really want to bifurcate God into
    being and will, and pit the latter against the former, such that God has to
    constrain his very being in order to function in accord with the biblical
    account? It all sounds "improper" to me.

    Tom Pearson

    Thomas D. Pearson
    Department of History & Philosophy
    The University of Texas-Pan American