Re: Questionnaire

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 15:32:22 EDT

    Dave, commenting on Dan's post, wrote: "IMHO, your comment and essay are
    dead on. Further, I wonder about the exercise of arguing that, since Paul
    doesn't mention committed relationships, they must be OK. Has the
    argument from silence somehow become valid?"

    Dave -- if you look at the materials on my website, particularly my
    position statement at

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com/gay1.htm

    you will not find any mention, even implicitly, of an "argument from
    silence" that homosexual relationships are "OK." The claim I make is a
    neutral one, that the silence of scripture on this issue can not be made
    to support either of my positions 1 or 2 (in my position statement).

    Dave continues: "As I see it, in the Jewish tradition within which Paul
    lived, there could never be a committed homosexual relationship for, the
    instant contact was discovered, the participants would be very dead."

    Whether or not the death penalty prescribe in Lev was carried out or not
    is problematical at best. But you are correct in noting that the Lev laws
    were expected of the Jewish [people at the time Paul wrote Romans.

    Dave finished by saying "This was clearly not the case in the pagan
    world, but that was what Paul was explicitly condemning in Romans 1."

    In the absence of an antecedent, I'm not sure to what this sentence is
    referring. The issue is, of course, whether (or not) Paul (and therefore
    our Lord) is referring to ALL homosexual activity or only that of a
    specified kind as generated by people clearly into other sins.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)