Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einstein and Hammond proved God exists)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 15:30:45 EDT

    "D. F. Siemens, Jr." wrote:

    > George,
    > If I restrict myself to your exclusion of temporal considerations, the
    > answer is "Yes." But this is like the infamous "Have you quit beating
    > your wife yet?" I contend that a proper view of the deity recognizes that
    > the Creator is never surprised, indeed, cannot be surprised, whether by
    > what is being studied in complexity theory or by the free choices of
    > human beings. My question was posed to show that mathematics is a human
    > activity, a task taken on by a subcreator.

            If we assume for the sake of argument that God is indeed immutable &
    is never surprised then the God who was aware of the work of Bolyai and
    Lobachevsky ~1820 is identical in all respects with the God who spoke with
    Moses ~1000 years before Euclid. & while speaking with Moses, God knew
    non-Euclidean geometry. & I don't think that he got that knowledge simply by
    foreknowing what B & L would do.
            My question was, you will realize, posed in a somewhat whimsical
    way. What I would say more substantively is that math pattern is a
    fundamental aspect of the world that science discovers, and if we believe
    that the world is God's creation, that pattern is God's creation. & since
    God created the world freely, God could have (& maybe did) create worlds with
    other math patterns.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy