Re: Ramm, Rimmer, etc

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 21:36:37 EST

    Howard wrote:

    << The intended distinction was between (1) direct divine revelation,
    disguised
     to look like human writing and (2) human writing that benefits from an
     awareness of God. Option (1) often leads to Book worship insulated from
     critical evaluation, while (2) invites continuing evaluation in the light of
     the totality of human experience. (1) invites the "say as they said"
     syndrome; (2) invites the "do as they did" strategy that I favor. >>

    How about divine revelation to and through humans that benefits from an
    awareness of God? That is what I see in the way Jesus and Paul related to
    Scripture. I see in them an ongoing dialog between what they read in biblical
    revelation and what they hear from God and see in the world around them.
    Because they "do as they did," sometimes they "say as they said;" and other
    times they see beyond the cultural-rootedness of the OT In Matt 19:3-8 we
    see both: Jesus sees divine revelation in Gen 2:24 but rejects the
    permission for "divorce for any reason" that occurs in Deut 24:1-4. "Do as
    they did" is sine qua non: "If anyone will do the will of God, they shall
    know" (Jn 7:17); but, the thing they shall know is whether what was said is
    something we should say.

    Paul