Re: Ramm, Rimmer, etc

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 10:45:24 EST

    Howard Van Till wrote:

    << I do respect the integrity of the people whose writings were included in
    the
     canon. Their writings were evaluated and selected by communities usually in
     a position to separate wheat from chaff. I'm not fearful that the writers
     were deluded, or raving mad, or frauds, or self-serving opportunists, or
     bamboozling schlockmeisters. My option (2) was in no way intended to suggest
     that.

    Yes, I realize that you don't think that way. In fact, it is exactly
    these extreme views (which I wrote down) that make me very doubtful
    of the accusations that I hear in regards to the writers of the bible.
    I'm sorry if you though I was accusing you of thinking that way.

    <<
     The intended distinction was between (1) direct divine revelation, disguised
     to look like human writing and (2) human writing that benefits from an
     awareness of God. Option (1) often leads to Book worship insulated from
     critical evaluation, while (2) invites continuing evaluation in the light of
     the totality of human experience. (1) invites the "say as they said"
     syndrome; (2) invites the "do as they did" strategy that I favor.

    I basically agree with you here. The bible should not be viewed as some
    sort of "almanac" from "The Almighty & Co". This is where people who read
    Revelations like a weather forecast get derailed (for example).
    If the Bible is the result of mere "dictation" from on high, then the
    bible should be a book of facts. This is often how apologists depict
    the Bible. It is exactly this "book of facts" view that gets me into
    quibbles with athiests about why pi = 3 in the Bible. If the Bible is
    a "book of facts", then it gets it wrong they say.

    On the other hand, we can loosen the requirements to "authentic experiences"
    described by the writers, but then there is one requirement on our part
    as readers: we have to decide for ourselves if we think the writers were
    genuine. Of course, with ASA, I don't think I have to ask if anyone doubts
    the writers, but this is one thing that must be kept in mind. It does
    free me up from having to explain why "pi = 3" is only an "apparent
    contradiction" or some such. On the other hand, it weakens my position
    on insisting that a person should believe in Christ instead of karma etc.
    It also leaves the scripture somewhat open for the "pick and chose" mode,
    which clearly has problems. Lastly, it also calls into question whether
    we can firmly trust in our own salvation if there is a even mere taint
    of "fallibility" in the writings.

    Realistically speaking, I suspect that we have little choice on this
    matter, and we have to read the Bible responsibly and critically like
    anything else. It is not an infallible book of facts and I can't expect
    to find the fine structure constant written in its pages.

    What I find difficult is apologetics in this case. I am personally
    committed to finding truth, and it *matters* to me to that what
    I say is true to the best extent that I can discern it as so.
    Yet the best I can do here is hand someone the book, hope that they
    read it, and hope that they come to agree with the message.
    That is an honest position, but it has none of the flare of the
    "revelation from God" pronouncements. On the one side are people
    too easily charmed by bravado, and on the other side are people
    who have already made up their mind that the bible is wrong. I
    find it difficult to reach either of them.

    by Grace alone do we proceed,
    Wayne