Meteorites and Specified Complexity

From: Tom Pearson (pearson@panam1.panam.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 17:53:48 EST

    Folks,
            There are reports circulating today that new research on the "Mars
    meteorite," the one that generated some discussion back in 1996 over
    whether there might have been primitive (bacterial) forms of life on Mars,
    now indicates more strongly that there is evidence of ancient "biological
    life" embedded in the meteorite (Allen Hills 84001 meteorite). One
    researcher, E. Imre Friedmann, a biologist at the Ames Research Center in
    Moffett Field, CA, notes that close electron microscope examination of the
    meteorite discloses magnetite crystals formed in chains; and further, these
    are "chains that could only have been formed biologically."
            In light of this, I have a question for the group here. Is Dr.
    Friedmann's observation regarding these crystal chains an example of
    "specified complexity," according to the criteria for that term as
    established by William Dembski and other proponents of Intelligent Design?
    In other words, is it a recognition of both specificity and complexity in
    these crystal chains that would prompt the claim that they must have been
    "formed biologically"? If it's not something like "specified complexity,"
    what would motivate the judgment that these chains must have been "formed
    biologically"?
            I ask this question because I'm curious about the method by which people
    render scientific verdicts in cases like this, and about the viability of
    "specified complexity" as legitimate parameter in scientific inquiry. Is
    it likely that Dr. Friedmann looked for something akin to "specified
    complexity" (in the Dembskian sense) as the meteorite was being examined?
    If so, how would reliance on a benchmark like "specified complexity" lead
    to the conclusion that these crystal chains were "formed biologically"? Or
    is "specified complexity" simply an artificial construct designed to
    further a particular scientific ideology?
            I appreciate any and all responses.

    Tom Pearson

    Thomas D. Pearson
    Department of History & Philosophy